Are you a new farmer serious about pursuing a farming career in Maine? Could your farm business benefit from 2 years of free hands-on training, technical support and mentorship from some of Maine’s best organic farmers and experts?
If so, submit an application to the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association’s Journeyperson Program!
Over the past 15 years, MOFGA’s Journeyperson Program has supported over 250 new farmers to successfully bridge the transition from apprentice/farm worker to independent farmer. While most new farms fail in the first 5 years of operation, 93% of MOFGA JPs are still farming today. Boost your odds and apply today!
The next deadline is right around the corner: Monday, September 21!
MOFGA offers each Journeyperson a 2-year package of support, including:
- $500 annual educational stipend
- Pairing with a paid farmer-mentor of your choice
- Free access to more than 50 educational workshops, trainings, and conferences
- Access to the MOFGA Farm Beginnings® intensive whole-farm & business planning course
- Personal technical assistance from MOFGA staff
- Priority assistance with land access and tenure issues through partnerships with Land For Good and Maine Farmland Trust
- Discounts on seeds and supplies
- Access to a shared-use farm equipment pool
- A supportive and active network of new and established farmers
Don’t hesitate to email any questions you have about the JP program or other new farmer support or educational opportunities at MOFGA.