Native Seeds/SEARCH Conservation Farm in Patagonia, AZ is looking for an operation technician to work as part of a professional team to create a sustainable farm for conserving precious seeds. This position is responsible for overseeing field preparation, cultivation, irrigation, and similar activities as needed, as well as the maintaining all farm equipment and structures.
- Prepare the fields and assist in field plot placement, planting, and harvesting of annual grow outs.
- Maintain and operate the irrigation systems. Monitor irrigation to assure adequate water availability for seed production and for perennial plantings.
- Cultivate and mow fields and non-field areas for weed management.
- Maintain records of cultivation, irrigation, weeding, and equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Oversee the installation, repair, and removal of materials and structures used on the farm for our annual seed grow out needs.
- Work with interns and volunteers as appropriate.
- Collaborate in the plan, design, and implementation of sustainable systems and practices on the farm.
- Represent NS/S in workshops and on farm tours as appropriate.
- Support the Farm Manager with supervision and training of interns and other staff.
To read more, click HERE
The Ranch Hand reports to the Director of Operations, and is part of the Ranch Team, which includes the Animal Care Manager, Garden Manager, and part-time facilities employee. The Ranch Hand assists with facilities maintenance (including ranch buildings, structures, animal areas and gardens) in a manner that is safe and appropriate for a public
facility providing hands-on educational programs and special events to the public. This position is responsible for grounds keeping and trail maintenance on our 134 acres of land. The Ranch Hand assists with running farming, nonprofit business and residential operations and preserving the coastal environment. This position also supports and
assists the Ranch Team with farming, animal, garden and programmatic chores and maintenance tasks as needed or directed. The Ranch Hand assists with leading volunteer groups and individuals. The Ranch Hand will also work under the supervision of the Operations Manager to support special events at Slide Ranch. This is a full-time, residential position.
No phone calls please. Please mail, email, or fax resume with cover letter and 3 references with contact information to:
Mail: Slide Ranch, 2025 Shoreline Highway, Muir Beach CA 94965
Email: email@example.com (Please include Ranch Hand in the Subject line)
For more information about our programs, please visit http://www.slideranch.org.
Maine Farmland Trust has announced its new Wang Fellowship in Food and Farming, named in honor of David and Cecile Wang, long-term advocates and supporters of agricultural justice. The fellowship is one year long and appears to be geared toward young professionals and academics with an activist streak, stating (albeit vaguely) that the fellow engage in substantive programming work at MFT.
- a “fully-equiped residential suite” in the town of Unity, ME
- travel reimbursement
- local food allowance
- a $22,500 stipend for the year
- vast networking opportunities in Maine’s vibrant sustainable agriculture community
- A resume or CV
- A copy of your academic transcript from any post-secondary institutions you have attended
- An essay of 600-1200 words outlining how you meet the qualifications listed above
- An essay of 250-500 words describing a special project you would like to undertake and why
- 2-4 writing samples
- 3 references who can speak to your suitability for this fellowship
This is a unique opportunity to be a part of an innovative community development project. Our work environment is highly disciplined and entrepreneurial. We are looking for a grower or partner growers to bring their skills and enthusiasm to the Penrose Market Garden and participate in building a successful urban agriculture model.
Grower(s) will work under GrowTown’s leadership to realize the Kresge grant commitment to implement a SPIN-Farming demonstration project at Penrose that is documented and replicable by others.
This opportunity is for growers ready to take initiative and who can work collaboratively with GrowTown and other community stakeholders towards an extraordinary outcome and exciting urban agriculture model.
Hey seed savers, pickers and packers, farm managers, quality control gurus, customer service extraordinaires, computer wizards, and lovers of all things seed: High Mowing is HIRING! If you are not familiar with them, here is an awesome interview with founder Tom Stearns that will most certainly inspire you. For more information about specific job offerings CLICK HERE.
Mettabee Farm and Arts in Hillsdale, NY is hiring for multiple positions in 2016! Metabee is a Buddhist-minded educational center in the beautiful Berkshires that practices and teaches organic farming, homesteading, and the arts.