Location: Washington Depot, CT
Job Type: Internship
Duration: May-October 2013
The Back Forty Farm is a diverse, organically operated farm located in Washington Depot, CT. We cultivate 2.5 acres of annual vegetables as well as beds for cut flowers, herbs and tea, raspberries, an apiary, and egg layers for farmer’s markets and a handful of local restaurants.
The goal of the internship is to immerse the chosen applicants with an educational grounding in small scale agriculture through participation in all aspects of farming at The Back Forty. This includes but is not limited to feeding and care of livestock; greenhouse management, seed propagation, transplanting, weeding, and harvest; staffing of the farmers market.
We are seeking motivated farmers with a genuine passion for agriculture, a desire to learn, and the ability to perform the following tasks:
- Ability to work 40 hrs. per week (the flexibility of work days will be determined in a conversation with Farm Manger).
- Previous farming experience is not necessary, but agricultural interests and enthusiasm is a must.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Work long hours in all weather, maintaining a positive attitude.
- Reliable transportation to the farm.
Interns compensated with an $8.25/hr wage as well as the possibility to participate in a series of classes at local farms.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply by sending the following materials to Michael Krug at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter stating interest in the position and applicable experiences/skills
- Three references (including name, relationship/job title, telephone number, email)