Aspen Center for Environmental Studies (ACES) seeks an Agriculture Manager at its Rock Bottom Ranch (RBR) site located in Basalt, Colorado. This person will lead, influence and manage the agricultural operations at RBR in partnership with the second Agriculture Manager and with the oversight of the RBR Director.
Rock Bottom Ranch is a place of ecological and agricultural heritage made up of 80 acres of open space and 33 acres of pasture. RBR fosters ecological literacy through environmental education, ecologically sustainable agriculture and wildlands preservation.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Livestock/Animal Care—Provide daily care for all animals living at RBR. Animals include: pigs, rabbits, chickens (laying and meat), turkeys, goats and sheep. Provide basic veterinarian care as needed to maintain health of animals. Maintain current records of animal’s lifecycle and care. Coordinate and train staff to complete daily chores to maintain care and feeding of animals. Market and sell RBR agricultural products.
Garden/Greenhouse—Expand and improve existing garden. Research, plan and execute greenhouse program at RBR. Provide education and instruction on organic, sustainable gardening. Expand heritage fruit tree orchard. Create summer farm stand.
Maintenance—Repair and construct fencing and gates throughout the ranch. Maintain pasture, farmyard and garden irrigation. Mow, weed and control invasive plants. Provide basic repair and maintenance of machinery. Construct small-scale craftsman structures. Maintain and improve overall appearance and cleanliness of the site and buildings.
On-site Steward—Live on-site to respond to animal welfare needs and site emergencies.
Customer Service—Provide welcoming and educational environment to all guests. Lead Farm Tours and provide educational content to guests. Assist with community events such as the Harvest Party.
• College education in relevant field, such as agriculture, biology, environmental science or ecology. While a college degree is preferred, individual reputation, relevant knowledge and experience will be key criteria.
• Experience working on a ranch and/or experience working with farm animals. Minimum experience of 2 years.
• Experience working with gardens and greenhouses. Minimum experience of 1 year.
• Craftsman skills to build and repair small-scale ranch projects (fencing, chicken tractors).
• Creativity to fashion a welcoming educational environment within a limited budget.
• Financial prudence to effectively manage a budget.
• Commitment to sustainable agriculture and practices.
• Experience teaching children and adults.
• Pasture management knowledge.
• Four season farming knowledge.
• Proven ability to build productive relationships by positively interacting with co-workers and the public.
• Well-developed computer skills.
Reporting Relationship: This position reports directly to the RBR Director
Location: This is full-time, year-round position located at ACES’ Rock Bottom Ranch site in Basalt, Colorado. Living on-site is a requirement of the position.
Benefits and Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Benefit package includes IRA and health plan. Living on-site is a requirement of the position; housing provided by ACES.
Start Date: as soon as possible
To Apply: Email cover letter and resume to Katie Schwoerer, ACES Director of Finance and Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org