The National Young Farmers’ Coalition seeks a full-time Colorado River Basin Organizer to build 7 new young farmers coalition affiliates in Colorado River Basin states (AZ, CA, CO, NM, NV, UT, WY) and promote various campaigns with partner organizations to ensure the sustainability of farming in the region.
- Organizing 7 new NYFC affiliate groups in AZ, CA, CO, NM, NV, UT and WY with volunteers.
- Hosting at least one event in each of these states as an introduction to the National Young Farmers’ Coalition
- Building a highly engaged group of farmers and citizens in support of young and beginning farmers in these states
- Developing priorities for young and beginning farmers in these states
- Working with farmers on earned media opportunities and opinion pieces in support of policies and issues that affect sustainable growers
- Working with a coalition of environmental groups on issues that affect sustainable agriculture in this region, particularly water conservation.
The ideal candidate must:
- Be well-connected farmers in the region
- Identify with the goals and priorities of the National Young Farmers’ Coalition
- Have an understanding of sustainable agriculture and the Farm Bill
- Be familiar with western water policy and conservation practices
- Be self directed and able to work independently
- Be bold and willing to meet new people and make introductions to farmers, elected officials and business owners
- Highly organized
- An excellent communicator, both in writing and in front of groups
- Be willing and able to work on a flexible schedule
Length of Employment:
- June-December 2012, with potential for extension
- Independent contractor
- Commensurate with experience
How to apply:
- Send cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com. References on request.
- DEADLINE: JUNE 22nd, 2012