The Battery Conservancy is seeking enthusiastic individuals with farming experience
to assist in running The Battery Urban Farm in Battery Park, Manhattan.
The Battery Urban Farm, located at the tip of Manhattan, is the first farm on this site since the Dutch planted theirs in 1625. This one acre farm is engaging elementary, middle, and high school students, as well as local community groups and individuals, in a hands-on experience of organic farming. Our vegetables, herbs and cut flowers are sold at our farm stand and donated to our schools and local food pantries.
We are seeking individuals with significant farming experience to join the Battery Urban Farm staff as Interns for this unique project. Applicants should be comfortable working hard and taking initiative. This is a collaborative project with lots of room for growth for the right individual.
The Battery Conservancy is a nonprofit organization dedicated to revitalizing the 25 acres of public parkland located on the tip of Manhattan. The Battery is at the forefront of sustainable urban park planning and organic horticulture. 2012 is the Battery Urban Farm’s second year.
- Participate in all aspects of vegetable production: planning, planting, managing, harvesting, weed control, irrigation, compost
- Help facilitate visits from local school children
- Organize and oversee farm volunteers
- Answer questions and explain the project to the public
- Help in running the Farm Stand
- Two day a week, three month minimum commitment required
- Farm/garden experience required
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs comfortably and to generally handle physically strenuous, repetitious tasks in a variety of weather conditions
- Manage work hours effectively with experience supervising others
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- A passion for horticulture and urban farming
-The following additional skills are also appreciated: illustration, carpentry, web-design/graphic design, experience in education and non-profit work
Please send a cover letter and resume to Camilla Hammer at email@example.com
The letter should include details of your availability, as well as details about your relevant experience. This position is unpaid. Monthly MetroCard provided for farmers who work 3 or more days per week. All farm workers are given access to all the vegetables and herbs they can eat.